What is a ‘double chin’?
The ‘double chin’ is an accumulation of fat and sagging in the area below the chin, which can affect both men and women.
We understand the impact that a double chin can have on your confidence and self-esteem. We are happy to share that there are safe solutions with excellent results that you can employ.
Causes of double chin
Double chins can be caused by excess fat or sagging in the region below the chin. In the case of sagging, this can happen due to the natural aging of the skin or after the person goes through a weight loss process. There may also already be a genetic predisposition for this.
Double chin treatment
There are several ways to eliminate a double chin, including non-invasive solutions (aesthetic treatments that do not require surgery) and invasive solutions (which require surgical intervention).
Both solutions are safe and effective but, naturally, they will have different prices, different recovery times and, in the case of non-invasive treatments, the results will be more gradual and spaced out over time.
How to eliminate double chin quickly (surgery)
Liposuction is the procedure that will allow you to obtain results faster. This is a surgical procedure that involves removing localized fat using suction. It can be effective in eliminating fat in the jowl area, but there are some considerations to keep in mind:
- Pre-assessment: The Living Clinic plastic surgeon will assess your general health and the jowl area to determine if you are a suitable candidate for liposuction. Not everyone is a good candidate and the procedure may not be recommended for your particular case.
- Possible risks and complications: Like any surgery, liposuction presents risks, including infection, bleeding, bruising, skin irregularities and adverse reactions to anaesthesia. Understanding these risks is key to moving forward with liposuction.
- Recovery: Recovery after liposuction can vary. You will likely experience some swelling, bruising, and discomfort in the days or weeks following the procedure. Recovery time can be significant depending on the extent of the procedure.
- Results: Liposuction results may be visible after complete recovery, but it is important to have realistic expectations. The final appearance may take some time to develop.
Non-surgical double chin treatments
In addition to liposuction, there are non-surgical alternatives for treating double chins, including:
- Coolsculpting (FDA-approved cryolipolysis treatment for eliminating localized fat);
- Morpheus 8 (microneedling combined with radiofrequency);
- Facial radiofrequency (Forma radiofrequency).
These options have less risk and a shorter recovery time (if any), Results only appear a few weeks or (a few) months later.
What is the price of double chin treatments?
Prices for double chin treatment depend on the method used and may vary from case to case.
Schedule a consultation to obtain a quote for your particular case.
Double chin before and after
The appearance of the jowl area after treatment will depend on the treatment carried out.
For example, in the case of Coolsculpting, results may take a few weeks to become visible as the body eliminates the treated fat cells. It is generally a very well tolerated procedure, with no recovery time required. However, naturally, the results are more subtle compared to surgical procedures, which have “immediate” results.
In the case of Morpheus 8, the results are also gradual and improve over several weeks or (a few) months, as collagen is produced and the skin reaffirms itself.
Just like with Morpheus 8, with Forma Radiofrequency the results are gradual. Here it may take a few sessions to get the best results.
The choice between these methods depends on your personal preferences, the degree of desired results, the recovery time you are willing to face and the recommendations of the Living Clinic physician, based on your current health state and medical history.
Discover one of our clinical cases of treatment for double chin in Double Chin reduction Before and After.
Schedule a consultation to hear our professionals’ recommendations for your particular case and clarify all your doubts.
We are at Av. da Boavista, in Porto!